Your web-browser is very outdated, and as such, this website may not display properly. Please consider upgrading to a modern, faster and more secure browser. Click here to do so.
Shiny things and cephalopods and dorky supernatural assassins.
background design by cryptovolans
Well, I didn’t get as much written this weekend as I’d hoped, but on the plus side I’m at 12 of 100 squares of my afghan and one of my husband’s best friends was in town and bought us an AMAZING fancy dinner as a belated wedding present
So that’s pretty cool
wat a broccoli women eat
From The Beekeeper’s Bible:
What is most astonishing about this dance is that it not only alerts other bees to a new forage source, it also tells them in which direction to fly, how far to fly, and what to expect when they get there. The figure-eight dances are not always oriented in the same direction on the comb; the central straight-line waggle part of the dance gives the direction to the other bees. The angle between the waggle path and the vertical axis of the comb is the same as the angle between the forage source and the sun’s position above the horizon (the azimuth). On leaving the hive, the bees fly at this angle from the sun to find the new forage source. In addition, the length of the central waggle path is an indicator of how far away the source may be. Bees are now thought to judge distance by measuring the movement of the environment past their eyes (optic flow) and to use this to compensate for wind speed, because flying with the wind will take less time than flying into the wind. Waggles are correspondingly shorter or longer. Finally, the richness of the forage source is indicated by the apparent fervor with which the scout vibrates its abdomen during the waggle.
Ask a nonsensical question, get a nonsensical answer.
Dang, I did pretty well with my list yesterday! The big dog got a nice long walk which didn’t tire him out in the slightest (border collies mixes I swear to god), I got farther along in the Last of Us before I eventually had to stop due to reasons of “fuck fuck fuck this is stressing me out too much I can’t deal with this I’ve restarted this section like FIVE TIMES I NEED A BREAK,” I hit the halfway point in The Quantum Thief, and I totally knit a few more afghan squares. Successful day of hardcore relaxation!
Oh, and I also baked a loaf of bread! I probably should’ve let the second rise go for longer (our house tends to be pretty chilly in the spring, since we’d rather just wear hoodies and cardigans inside than deal with heating costs, so anything with yeast takes F O R E V E R to rise properly), but eventually I just got impatient and stuck it in the oven anyway. The crumb turned out a little denser than I normally prefer, but dang, this is some tasty bread. I toasted a few slices for breakfast with a smear of butter and honey and a sprinkle of sel gris, and asksdjdnjsjbfj it is so so so good I need to get back to baking bread every single week because damn
Anyway. Today is a tea shop and writing day! I doubt I’ll finish this FCP fic I’m working on (it’s the DXHR one I posted a snippet of last week), but I certainly plan to knock out a good chunk of it. Onward!
How to feel better about yourself:
1. Sleep without underwear every once and a while, it’s good for you. Maybe even try sleeping naked.
2. Take long baths with tea, ice cream, or whatever you please. Throw in bubbles if that’s your style.
3. Look at yourself like you look at your best friend. Find the freckles you love, what your eyes look best with, what hairstyle compliments your smile.
4. When you look at your naked body in the mirror, only think good things. Say compliments to yourself aloud. Watch yourself smile, and encourage yourself.
5. Take yourself out on a date. Treat yourself to the things you love. You’re alone yes, but there is nothing wrong with that. Remember all the times you were smothered by people and talking crowds, and you only wanted to be alone with yourself.
6. Write yourself a love note. Tell yourself your favorite things about you, and tell yourself all the things you want to become. Tell yourself you’ll love you forever.
7. Take pictures of yourself. Selfies are magnificent! Take 500! Take them everywhere! Find the good lighting! Pick your favorite one and realize what a wonderful work of art you are.
8. Acknowledge your accomplishments, all of them. Got out of bed? It’s hard sometimes and it’s been hard before, so honestly great job. Drink lots of water, and at the end of the day congratulate yourself for staying hydrated. Let yourself know when you are proud, and soak up the feeling of “well done”."
OH MY GOD
I JUST ENCOUNTERED MY FIRST BLOATER
I AM UPSET
THIS IS UPSETTING
BLOATERS MAKE ME VERY VERY UPSET
So I’m a big fan of yours and wanted to gift you something! I hope you like… I have a LOT of feels about Daud and Martin.
There were a number of reasons that Martin awoke abruptly, a weighted lethargic feeling overtaking his bones and hair sticking hot and damp to his head. Neck sore and stiff, he found that by turning his head the sights before his eyes only swam and blurred together to create a sickening mosaic of brown, blue, blue, and infinitely more blue. Impressions and memory cluttered and attempted to run through the clogged artery of thought beating against his skull, and Martin laid his head wearily back against the surface he had suddenly lifted it from.
He could smell wood very distinctly. If he didn’t inhale too hard, he could stand the salt tang as he pressed his nose gently to the ground beneath him. Not ground then. Wooden boards. Wet wooden boards. And salt. This didn’t make sense. Although, if Martin recalled correctly, that damned admiral - Lord Regent, he corrected himself - seemed to reek of it constantly. Like a drowned man aboard his final vessel, and Martin found himself vaguely wishing the man had. Why again - Ha. Drowned Man.
A wave of nausea overcame Martin and he groaned and struggled to lift his head and to the side. Rough arms came up beneath his armpits and dragged him along his chest over to a railing. A hearty hand slapped him on the back as he heaved, and Martin attempted to stop the bile as it burned his throat and made his head pound worse.
“You’d best let it go, Overseer Martin. Wouldn’t want what’s left of that poison getting to you before you’ve had your turn at redemption.” A voice jeered from behind him, the emphasis on ‘Overseer’ alarming and angering Martin. He thought to respond back, but another round of vomit escaped his chapped lips and the salt of ocean water stung his eyes as he blinked at the massive body of water around him. A boat. He was on a boat, on the sea, and where in the Void were Havelock and Pendelton and…
Page 1 of 515